Contents of the technical focus "Optimization
Optimization problems arise in almost all areas of business and everyday life.
- How do you cut fabrics for clothing to save as much material as possible?
- How do you pack items into a truck in the most space-saving way possible in order to reduce traffic?
- What shape must turbine blades have in order to generate energy from hydropower as efficiently as possible?
- What is the fastest way to get from one place to another?
- How can a building be evacuated as quickly as possible?
The field of optimization is interdisciplinary between computer science, mathematics and operations research and is very versatile. The courses offered provide basic theoretical knowledge as well as algorithms and techniques relevant to practice. The focus on Optimization is very application-oriented.
Requirements for the specialization "Optimization
The supervisor of the master thesis must assign the thesis to the specialization.
You must acquire at least 30 credit points with the following modules:
Compulsory basic modules
- Practical Optimization
This compulsory module must be successfully completed.
- Algorithms and Data Structures
- Complexity Theory
- Graph Algorithms
- Large-Scale Optimization
- Modeling, Simulation and Analysis
- Machine Learning
- Numerical Optimization
- Randomized Algorithms
Seminars and student research project
The supervisors of the seminars and the student research project have to assign the achievements to the subject focus, if seminars or student research project shall contribute to the 30 credit points. How many seminars you can take can be found in the examination regulations.